Sunday 5 January 2014

Happy New Year!

I have finally logged on again! So many times I have thought about it in the past few months, but I just haven't turned the computer on. I found I was using my phone so much more for googling and reading blogs, facebook, pinterest and emails as well as banking and paying bills that I hardly used a real computer at home the last few months. While that has it's advantages of being more portable and being able to do those things wherever I am and whenever (waiting in the car at school pick up!), it also has it's disadvantages. I found I was spending too much time online and yet achieving much less than I used too :( This year my plan is to limit my phone online time and make sure the time I spend online (computer or phone) is productive and not just mindless trawling for ideas!
So, what did I end up creating in the last few months of last year .......
August - my 'baby's' 1st birthday party - favors, decorations, games, cakes, etc. A little pink cardigan for my little miss.
September - it didn't seem like much!! But thankyou cards did get sent and there was also a second cardigan for my miss and then I started some squares for a blanket using the left over wool ...... and they are still in the basket :/ I also made 16 flat sheets and 16 fitted sheets for my children's childcare centre! That was a learning experience for sure! I have never sewn with fitted sheet elastic before and my wrists ended up sore from the continuous tension required to stretch the elastic as you sew it on.
October - School holiday activities and I went back to work :( .... But I joined in a dishcloth swap hosted by Mel from One Crafty Mumma and received some gorgeous ones in return. I also made 4 dishcloths for my MILs birthday and a couple of others for myself and for gifts.
November - Another dishcloth swap with Mel and this time I used some gorgeous cotton/microfibre blend yarn, nice and chunky. I also tried my hand at making some homemade cordial - lemon, lemon and orange and strawberry (with vanilla and black pepper).
December - Christmas card making and lots of baking for Christmas gifts and for my little miss who turned 4 the week before Christmas!
That's kind of it for the end of the year. I didn't end up doing much sewing other than the sheets as I discovered my machine was in dire need of a service! Both spool holders dropped into the machine, luckily I caught the second before it disappeared, but I ended up having to use a rubber band to hold it in place which did not help the spool spin well. Since the service I have not got it out again, but soon hopefully!
So .... plans for this year ....
Well, so far in this last week, I have started 3 blankets! Lol! note I say 'started' not 'finished'! Two are using the Beachcomber Baby blanket and are progressing well. I ran out of yarn while working on the first one and while waiting for my online order to arrive I decided to start another. It's a lovely pattern and with the second one I decided to use 3 strands of yarn together and a bigger hook (8.0mm) which is making a superthick blanket, just perfect to use for tummy time on a hard floor. The other blanket I started is a granny stripe one. I liked the look of all the ones I saw last year and had picked up some yarn in a sale, so thought I would start it off. My brother and his fiancee are moving soon, so I hope to be able to give it to them as a housewarming gift, something to snuggle up with on the couch.
And, the other thing I have started is a bag! I saw a great pin on Pinterest where you blanket stitch along the edges of a zipper and then crochet in the stitches. I have a selection of zippers I was handed down and one of them matched some bargain cotton I have a few balls of, so ...... off I went! I think this might be a good project to keep in my handbag for those times when I am sitting and want to keep my hands busy.
No photos today, sorry. If I waiting to post until I had photos then I would never start again! I will try and remember to take some in daylight and share them soon.
I hope your year is starting well!

No comments:

Post a Comment